If you want to make an impact in the dropshipping world, you’ve got to know the statistics, trends, and what’s hot.
So, today, we have 40 (yes, 40!) must-know dropshipping statistics that will improve your knowledge and inspire you too!
In order to create this report, the data of 600k+ dropshipping stores was crawled on April 30, 2023 – for their installed apps, creation date, niche, marketing methods, and much more!
Are you ready to be amazed?
8 Key Dropshipping Statistics in 2023 (Editor’s Picks)
Are you considering starting a dropshipping business? Or perhaps you’re already running one and just need to stay on top of the latest trends?
Either way, it can be really useful to have an understanding of the key dropshipping industry statistics.
Let’s take a look at eight of the biggest and most exciting numbers right now!
Disclaimer: Due to minor imperfections of the crawling system, please know that we can’t guarantee a perfect, 100% accuracy of the data and thus the statistics we found. Nevertheless, we are confident that these statistics closely represent reality due to the total amount of data captured.
1. Dropshipping is still growing in popularity in 2023, with search interest growing about 50% year-over-year
- The key takeaway: Dropshipping doesn’t show any signs of slowing down.
In case you were wondering, dropshipping is still very much relevant in 2023.
In fact, search interest has grown by a whopping 50% year-over-year.
So, if you’ve been considering hopping on board, now’s the time!
2. Only around 1.5% of dropshipping stores are estimated to have a monthly revenue of over $50k
- The key takeaway: Making big bucks in dropshipping isn’t a walk in the park – it takes dedication and strategy.
It’s important to note that only around 1.5% of dropshipping stores are estimated to have a monthly revenue of over $50k.
This isn’t meant to burst your bubble but rather to emphasize that achieving this success requires serious dedication, strategy, and a never-give-up attitude.
So, don’t be discouraged – instead, use this statistic to motivate yourself to aim for the top!
- How Fast Can You Make Money With a Dropshipping Store?
- 23 Most Successful Shopify Dropshipping Store Examples | Inspiration
3. 80.9% of the top 1% of dropshipping stores are mainly selling in the US, followed by Canada (5.2%) and the UK (4.1%)
- The key takeaway: The US remains the top dropshipping market.
When it comes to the top 1% of dropshipping stores, the US is the undisputed champ, boasting a massive 80.9% market share!
- 10+ Best Countries for Dropshipping in 2023 (& 5 to Avoid)
- Can You Do Dropshipping With USA-Made Products in 2023?
- 14 Best US Dropshipping Suppliers in 2023 (Fast Shipping)
4. Clothing products made up nearly 16% of all products dropshipped on Shopify
- The key takeaway: Clothing is a popular niche for Shopify dropshipping stores.
This one shows that if you’re looking to dropship some clothing items, you’re in good company on Shopify.
With clothing products making up nearly 16% of all items dropshipped on the platform, it’s clear that fashion is a fan favorite among Shopify users.
Tip: Did you create your Shopify account already? If not, sign up by clicking this link here to get a free 3-day trial + pay $1/month for the first 3 months!
- 6 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Dropship Clothing From China!
- The 14 Best Clothing Dropshipping Suppliers in 2023
5. The top three most installed dropshipping apps are DSers, CJdropshipping, and Zendrop
- The key takeaway: When looking specifically at dropshipping apps, DSers, CJdropshipping, and Zendrop are the most popular.
DSers takes the top spot of the most installed dropshipping app with 185k installs, followed by CJdropshipping with 71k installs and Zendrop with 31k installs.
All these apps help you find suppliers and manage your orders, products, and shipping!
- Dropshipping Automation Software: 11 Tools That Help You!
- DSers Review: Is It the Best App for AliExpress? (2023)
- CJdropshipping Dropshipping: How To Start in 2023 (+ Review)
6. Just 7% of dropshipping stores have installed an up- or cross-sell app
- The key takeaway: Don’t miss the opportunity to boost your sales with up- and cross-selling strategies.
When dropshipping, you want to maximize your revenue in any way you can.
One effective strategy is up-selling or cross-selling, but shockingly, only 7% of dropshipping stores have installed an app for it.
This is a massive opportunity to increase sales, so don’t miss out!
- 11 Amazing Tips to Increase Dropshipping Sales in 2023
- 9 Dropshipping Marketing Strategy Tips to Grow Your Business
- 10 Most Common Dropshipping Mistakes & How to Avoid Them
7. Free delivery is the most important online purchase driver, encouraging 49.4% of consumers
- The key takeaway: Free delivery is king!
Did you know that almost half of online shoppers are motivated to click ‘buy’ by free delivery?
That’s right – according to recent data, 49.4% of consumers consider free delivery as the most critical factor when making an online purchase.
So if you’re a dropshipper looking to attract more customers, you might want to consider offering this sweet perk to your customers. Who can resist free shipping, right?
8. The TikTok Pixel is installed on about 35% of dropshipping stores
- The key takeaway: TikTok is not just for dancing videos! About 35% of dropshipping stores have tried or used it as part of their marketing strategy.
If you thought TikTok was just for Gen Z to show off their dance moves, think again!
This social media platform is becoming a powerful tool for dropshipping stores, with over a third of them installing the TikTok Pixel.
The TikTok Pixel is similar to Facebook Pixel in that it allows you to track the actions users take on your website after clicking on a TikTok ad.
32 More statistics you should know if you’re a dropshipper
Did you know that Germany is the fastest-growing dropshipping market in Europe? Or that apparel is the most common dropshipping niche?
The truth is, if you’re serious about understanding the world of dropshipping, then these 32 stats should be top-of-mind!
The global dropshipping market
Let’s start with some statistics about the global dropshipping market:
9. The dropshipping market size in 2023 is $287.36 billion and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 23.4% from 2023 to 2030
- The key takeaway: Now is the best time to get into the dropshipping.
With a value of $287.36 billion in 2023, it’s clear that the dropshipping industry is not a tiny one. But wait, there’s more!
The market is expected to grow at an impressive CAGR of 23.4% between 2023 and 2030.
So, if you’ve been considering jumping into the dropshipping game, there’s no better time than now!
- Dropshipping in 2023: Is It Still Worth It? (An Honest Look)
- Is Dropshipping a Waste of Time in 2023? (Read This First)
- Dropshipping for Beginners: What Is It & How to Start Today?
- The key takeaway: North America is an excellent market to focus on.
With a staggering market share of over 35.72% in 2022, it’s clear that North America is a dropshipping powerhouse.
This domination can be attributed to the strong ecommerce infrastructure, high internet penetration, and the ever-growing appetite for online shopping.
So, if you’re thinking about where to focus your dropshipping efforts, keeping a close eye on the North American market might be wise.
After all, they say to go where the money is – and in this case, it’s definitely heading west!
- How to Start a Dropshipping Business in the US (2023 Guide)
- How to Start a Dropshipping Business in Canada (2023 Guide)
11. Payment security is one of the key concerns faced in the dropshipping industry
- The key takeaway: Show your store’s top-level payment security to build trust with customers.
One of the major concerns customers have is payment security – nobody wants to lose their hard-earned cash to some sketchy online store.
So, it’s crucial to ensure that your dropshipping business has top-notch payment security measures in place.
Use reliable payment gateways and SSL certificates, and follow best practices for handling sensitive information.
12. Germany is expected to be the fastest-growing dropshipping market in Europe, with a CAGR of 16.9%
- The key takeaway: Keep an eye on Germany as a promising European dropshipping hotspot.
Did you know that Germany is a thriving dropshipping market that’s outpacing its European neighbors?
It presents a fantastic opportunity for those looking to expand their dropshipping horizons.
Who knows, maybe your next best-selling product will be a hit among German shoppers!
13. About 27% of all current dropshipping stores have been created in 2022
- The key takeaway: A large percentage of dropshipping stores were created last year.
It’s clear that dropshipping is popular.
But be warned – with the rise in new stores, competition is getting fierce!
14. In the first quarter of 2023, around 175k dropshipping stores have been created
- The key takeaway: The dropshipping popularity continues with a surge of new stores in early 2023.
In just the first quarter of 2023, 175k dropshipping stores were created.
But as mentioned, with great popularity comes great competition.
So, if you want a piece of the pie, be prepared to innovate, adapt, and stand out from the crowd.
15. Roughly 45% of all current dropshipping stores have been started in 2021 or earlier
- The key takeaway: Nearly half of the dropshipping stores created over two years ago still exist.
Did you know that nearly half (45%, to be exact) of all current dropshipping stores were started in 2021 or earlier?
That’s right – these veteran stores have been around for a while and have managed to stay afloat amidst the ever-changing ecommerce industry.
16. Africa is the least popular dropshipping market
- The key takeaway: Africa’s dropshipping market is challenging (but may offer opportunities if you’re risk-tolerant).
While viewing the African market as an untapped opportunity might be tempting, it’s important to consider the reasons behind its current status.
Challenges like underdeveloped ecommerce infrastructure, logistical hurdles, and internet penetration issues make it a tough market to crack.
However, if you’re a daring entrepreneur who truly understands the risks, Africa might just be the untapped market you’re looking for.
- Dropshipping in South Africa: Is It Possible in 2023?
- The 5 Worst Countries to Target for Dropshipping
- The key takeaway: Brazil is a surprisingly popular country for dropshipping stores.
Did you know that Brazil is making its way to the top of the dropshipping charts?
With an impressive market share of 11.9%, it’s the second-most popular country for dropshipping stores, right behind the US.
18. 74.2% of dropshipping stores are in English, followed by Portuguese (12.0%) and French (4.5%)
- The key takeaway: English dominates the dropshipping language landscape, but don’t overlook other languages.
Unsurprisingly, 74.2% of dropshipping stores are in English – it is the language of international communication, after all.
But don’t let that overshadow the other popular languages.
Portuguese comes in second place with 12.0%, followed by French at 4.5%
19. Almost a quarter of the top 1% of dropshipping stores sells between 250 and 999 products, and only 4.5% sell less than ten products
- The key takeaway: Once you start scaling your store, you’ll likely add more and more products.
If you’re aiming for the top 1% of dropshipping stores, it’s time to embrace variety.
Almost a quarter of these stores sell between 250 and 999 products, while a mere 4.5% offer less than ten.
The lesson here?
A one-product store can be a great way to start dropshipping, but when scaling, don’t be stingy with your product offerings.
Customers love choices, and a diverse catalog can help you cater to a wider audience.
- How Many Products Should You Have to Start Dropshipping?
- General vs. Niche Dropshipping Store | What Is the Best Choice in 2023?
Do you agree that choosing a niche is challenging?
If so, these statistics might give you some new insights!
20. Apparel is the most common dropshipping niche, chosen by 22.3% of all dropshipping stores
- The key takeaway: The fashion niche is the most popular among all dropshipping stores.
Turns out, apparel is the most common dropshipping niche, with 22.3% of all stores strutting their product catalogs in this category.
But don’t let the glamour of fashion blind you to other great niches – home & garden and beauty & fitness are also hot choices!
- How to Find the Best Niche for Dropshipping? (7 Methods)
- How to Find out If a Dropshipping Niche Could Be Profitable in 2023?
21. 26.0% of the top 1% of dropshipping stores sell apparel
- The key takeaway: Fashion-forward dropshippers are raking in the profits.
When it comes to the top dropshipping stores, 26.0% are in the apparel niche.
This just goes to show that fashion is also a lucrative market if you’ve got a keen eye for style.
Just remember, in the world of fashion, one day you’re in, and the next day you’re out!
|Store niche||Percentage of top 1% of dropshipping stores|
|Home & Garden||9.9%|
|Beauty & Fitness||8.4%|
|Toys & Hobbies||4.1%|
|Pets & Animals||3.4%|
- Top 10 Dropshipping Niches to Avoid as a Beginner in 2023
- The 25 Best Dropshipping Niche Ideas for Your Store in 2023
- The key takeaway: Electronics is another top contender for the largest dropshipping niche, especially in North America.
That’s right, from smartphones to smart speakers, North Americans can’t get enough of their tech toys.
Just remember to be careful of the product quality when dropshipping electronics!
23. 27.2% of dropshipping stores have less than ten products in their catalog
- The key takeaway: Size doesn’t always matter – small catalogs can still pack a punch!
Did you know that 27.2% of dropshipping stores have less than ten products in their catalog?
That’s right – sometimes less is more when it comes to creating a killer product lineup.
Remember, it’s not the size of your catalog that counts, but how you market it!
24. About 85% of the top 1% of dropshipping stores have a product that costs more than $100
- The key takeaway: Most successful dropshipping stores cater to wealthier consumers by offering products above $100.
85% of successful dropshipping stores have at least one item that costs over $100 – so it seems that investing in higher-priced offerings can pay off.
Of course, it’s not just about slapping a fancy price tag on any old product – quality and value are still vital to success!
- Dropshipping Pricing Strategy: The Definitive Guide (2023)
- High-Ticket Dropshipping: The Definitive Guide (2023)
- 16 Great High-Ticket Dropshipping Product Examples in 2023
25. Most of the top 1% of dropshipping stores have an average product price between $30 and $40
- The key takeaway: $30 to $40 seems to be the sweet spot for the average price of your products.
According to the data, many of the top 1% of dropshipping stores have an average product price in the $30 to $40 range.
|Average product price||Percentage of top 1% of dropshipping stores|
|$0 – $10||1.3%|
|$10 – $20||6.0%|
|$20 – $30||15.9%|
|$30 – $40||17.8%|
|$40 – $50||11.9%|
|$50 – $60||7.3%|
|$60 – $70||4.7%|
|$70 – $80||3.6%|
|$80 – $90||2.7%|
|$90 – $100||2.3%|
This suggests that pricing products in this range can be a sweet spot.
But don’t forget that product price is just one factor contributing to a store’s success!
Apps and themes
Interested in statistics about dropshipping apps and themes?
If so, read on!
26. 57.4% of the top 1% of dropshipping stores have installed more than ten apps
- The key takeaway: Although it’s recommended to keep the number of apps low on your store, you’ll likely add increasingly more once your store grows.
57.4% of the top 1% of dropshipping stores have installed more than ten apps to streamline their operations and supercharge sales.
So, if you’re dreaming of joining the most successful dropshipping stores, you’ll likely be adding some more apps as well.
From inventory management to marketing automation, there’s an app for every aspect of your business!
- The 16 Best Shopify Apps for Successful Dropshipping Stores
- The 13 Best Shopify Apps for Dropshipping 2023 (Free & Paid)
27. DSers is the most frequently installed app for dropshipping stores, installed in around 29.6% of all dropshipping stores
- The key takeaway: If you’re looking to get into AliExpress dropshipping, DSers is a proven app that can help you get started.
DSers is an AliExpress dropshipping solution that allows users to place orders on AliExpress in bulk, track shipments, and manage products.
Other popular apps include ‘Product Reviews’ and ‘Geolocation,’ each installed in roughly 21.0% of all dropshipping stores.
- DSers Review: Is It the Best App for AliExpress? (2023)
- DSers Chrome Extension: The Definitive Guide (2023)
- 14 Best DSers Alternatives in 2023 (Find the Right App)
28. About 66% of all dropshipping stores have installed a review app
- The key takeaway: Most dropshippers have realized that customer reviews are gold and have installed a review app to boost their sales.
Having a good review app can make customers trust you, which can lead to more sales.
In fact, some studies suggest that having one to ten reviews on the product page increases conversions by 52.2%!
So if you’re a dropshipper, make sure to install a review app like Loox or Ali Reviews:
- How to Get Product Reviews on Shopify? (Even With No Sales)
- How to Display Your Shopify Product Reviews on Google (2023)
29. Only 5% of dropshipping stores use a page builder, with the most popular one being PageFly
- The key takeaway: You don’t need fancy tools to succeed in dropshipping, but a page builder like PageFly can give you an edge.
Despite the abundance of page builders available, only 5% of dropshipping stores use one.
However, a page builder like PageFly can help you customize your online store, improve the user experience, and ultimately increase conversions.
So while it’s not a requirement for success in dropshipping, it’s worth considering if you want to stand out!
30. The most common payment gateway for dropshipping stores is PayPal, followed by Apple Pay, Shop Pay, and Google Pay
- The key takeaway: Offer PayPal, Apple Pay, Shop Pay, and Google Pay as payment methods on your store.
When buying stuff online, people want to make the payment process as smooth as possible, and that’s where payment gateways come in.
PayPal is the clear winner, but other players like Apple Pay, Shop Pay, and Google Pay are not far behind.
- Using PayPal for Dropshipping: How to Not Get Banned in 2023
- The 4 Best Payment Gateway Combinations for Dropshipping
31. 26% of dropshipping stores offer an order tracking page for their customers
- The key takeaway: You can increase customer satisfaction by creating an order tracking page.
An order tracking page lets customers track their orders and estimate delivery dates.
However, only 26% of dropshipping stores offer an order tracking page to their customers.
This lack of transparency can lead to customer dissatisfaction, ultimately hurting the store’s reputation and sales.
- Shopify Track Your Order Page: How to Create One & Why?
- How Do You Track a Package From China in 2023?
32. Dawn is the most popular theme for dropshipping stores, being installed in 30.6% of all dropshipping stores, followed by Debut (7.5%) and Warehouse (7.3%)
- The key takeaway: You can make your dropshipping store more unique by not choosing the Dawn, Debut, or Warehouse themes.
Dawn is the most popular theme for dropshipping stores.
While that may be for a good reason (it’s a free theme with a clean design), it does make many dropshipping stores look like a bit of the same.
- 10 Best Shopify Dropshipping Themes in 2023 | Boost Sales!
- How to Choose the Best Shopify Theme: 8 Great Tips (2023)
33. The most common premium themes for dropshipping stores are Impulse, Prestige, and Motion
- The key takeaway: Common choices for premium themes are Impulse, Prestige, and Motion.
If you’re a dropshipper looking to give your store a professional look, consider one of these popular premium themes from the Shopify Theme Store.
At the same time, don’t be afraid to explore other themes to find the perfect fit for your brand.
For example, Impulse fits very well with fashion stores:
Remember apparel is the most popular dropshipping niche, so this is probably the reason why Impulse is so popular!
If you want to increase conversions on your store, it’s vital to learn about customer behavior.
So, let’s do that!
34. 57.6% of internet users aged 16 to 64 buy something online each week
- The key takeaway: More than half of almost all internet users buy something online each week.
According to a recent study from DataReportal, over 57% of internet users aged 16 to 64 buy something online every week.
That’s a lot of shopping bags to carry, but with the convenience of online shopping, who can blame them?
Whether it’s clothes, groceries, or even a llama plushie, people are taking advantage of the ease and accessibility of online shopping, with the Thai topping the ranking:
35. 41% of consumers want a live chat when shopping online
- The key takeaway: Add a live chat to your dropshipping store!
The days of waiting on hold while listening to elevator music are long gone.
Customers want instant help from businesses, and that includes dropshipping stores!
36. Hong Kong, the US, and the UK have the highest annual revenue per consumer in the world
- The key takeaway: The most eager spenders in the world live in Hong Kong, the US, and the UK.
It looks like Hong Kong, the US, and the UK are leading the way when it comes to online consumer revenue per year.
So, if you’re a dropshipper targeting those markets, you might be in luck!
You may have an excellent dropshipping store, but if no one knows about it, you’ll still be left with zero sales.
Let’s learn some more about marketing from these dropshipping statistics!
37. Roughly 55% of dropshipping stores have installed Facebook Pixel to track visitors
- The key takeaway: Your dropshipping store should have a Facebook Pixel installed if you want to keep up.
The Facebook/Meta Pixel is a code that helps you track website visitors’ actions, optimize ads, and build targeted audiences for future marketing.
It’s no surprise that over 55% of dropshipping stores have installed this powerful tool to drive their marketing success!
- Meta Pixel: How to Set It up (& 7 Tips to Boost Conversions)
- Facebook Ads for Ecommerce Stores: A Beginner’s Guide (2023)
- The key takeaway: TikTok is the place to be for shoppable videos.
If you’re looking for shoppable videos, TikTok might be the platform for you.
According to recent stats, it’s the most popular social media platform where users actually buy products featured in videos:
Who knew those dance challenges could lead to a shopping spree?
39. About 32% of dropshipping stores planned to incorporate Pinterest in their marketing strategy by installing a Pinterest tag
- The key takeaway: Pinterest is another popular marketing tool for dropshipping stores.
If you’re looking for new marketing channels to explore, it might be worth giving Pinterest a try.
According to recent data, about 32% of dropshipping stores plan to incorporate the platform in their marketing strategy by installing a Pinterest tag.
The tag lets you track people’s actions on your website after clicking on your Pinterest ads, helping you optimize your campaigns and reach your target audience more effectively.
So, why not try it and see if it works for your business?
- Pinterest Ads for Dropshipping: A Beginner’s Guide for 2023
- 12 Great Pinterest Ad Examples for Ecommerce | Inspiration
40. About 34% of all dropshipping stores have installed an email marketing app, with the most popular being Shopify Inbox and Klaviyo
- The key takeaway: Incorporate email marketing into your marketing strategy.
If you’re running a dropshipping store, you know how important it is to stay connected with your customers.
That’s why it’s unsurprising that around 34% of all dropshipping stores have installed an email marketing app to help them stay in touch with their customer base.
Two of the most popular email marketing apps are Shopify Inbox and Klaviyo, which offer a wide range of features to help you create and send newsletters, promotional emails, and other email campaigns:
- Email Marketing for Ecommerce: A Beginner’s Guide (2023)
- The 10 Best Email Marketing Tools For Ecommerce in 2023
Before we go to the conclusion, we’ve created a quick summary of this list for you, so you can easily remember the most important insights:
- The best time to start with dropshipping was yesterday, but the second-best time is today!
- Offer free shipping or consider including shipping costs in the product price to increase sales.
- Install a review app and a up-/cross-sell app to increase conversions.
- Install Facebook Pixel on your website to track visitor activity and target relevant ads to them.
- Consider using TikTok and shoppable videos to promote your products.
- Install an email marketing app to engage with your customers and encourage repeat purchases.
- Offer PayPal, Apple Pay, Shop Pay, and Google Pay on your website to cater to customers’ preferred payment methods.
FAQs about dropshipping
If you have more questions about dropshipping, take a look at these FAQs!
Is dropshipping still profitable in 2023?
Based on the estimation that 1.5% of dropshipping stores have a monthly revenue above $50k, dropshipping is still profitable in 2023!
What is the success rate of dropshipping?
The exact success rate of dropshipping stores is unknown, with most estimates ranging from 10% to 30%. This means that the failure rate of dropshipping stores is around 70% to 90%.
Why do 90% of dropshippers fail?
Around 90% of dropshippers fail due to factors like insufficient market research, poor niche selection, inadequate marketing strategies, low-quality suppliers, and lack of commitment to the business.
We hope you found our journey through the world of dropshipping informative and engaging!
From the most popular niches to the most commonly used apps, we’ve covered a lot of ground.
So, what can we conclude from all these statistics?
Well, for one, it’s clear that dropshipping is a growing industry, with many niches and products available to sellers. However, it’s also clear that the competition is fierce, with thousands of stores vying for customers’ attention and dollars.
To stand out in this crowded market, it’s important to focus on the things that matter most to customers.
That means offering free shipping, providing excellent customer service, and showcasing high-quality products with professional photos and descriptions.
It also means keeping up with the latest trends, like TikTok marketing. And of course, it means using data and analytics to track your store’s performance and make informed decisions about which strategies are working and which need to be adjusted.
We hope you found this information helpful and that it will help you take your dropshipping store to the next level.
Good luck, and happy selling!
Want to learn more about dropshipping?
Ready to move your dropshipping store to the next level? Check out the articles below: