If you’ve been thinking about starting your own business and selling products online, you must have heard of Shopify.
Shopify is one of the most popular ecommerce platforms that can help you start your online store in a matter of hours.
But many aspiring store owners don't know that Shopify offers a wide range of pricing plans to fit any budget.
So, which Shopify plan is the best for your business?
The Basic plan is the best choice if you are a beginner. It offers all the essential features you need when starting a new store. However, if you currently run a successful Shopify store, the Shopify plan could lower your transaction fees and will grant you access to professional reporting features and additional staff accounts.
In this article, we will provide a detailed guide to Shopify's pricing plans.
Whether you’re just getting started or looking to scale up, there is a plan that fits your needs. Let’s get started!
What is the best Shopify pricing plan for me?
Looking for our recommendation on which pricing plan to choose? Look no further!
In the following section, you will find Shopify’s five pricing plans and a summary of when to choose them.
But don’t worry; we will also cover each of the plans in more detail below!
Here are the best Shopify pricing plans for each situation:
- Starter plan ($5/month + 5% per transaction). Choose this plan if you want to start a simple store in minutes and sell your products by sharing links through social media, SMS, email, or WhatsApp.
- Basic plan ($39/month + 2.9% and 30¢ USD per transaction). Choose this plan if you want to create a professional ecommerce website. On top of the Starter plan, the Basic plan includes value-added features like theme editing and the ability to add various additional store pages (blog posts, etc.).
- Shopify plan ($105/month + 2.6% and 30¢ USD per transaction). Choose this plan if your store is already making sales and you want to take it to the next level with lower credit card rates, access to professional reports, and support for up to five staff accounts.
- Advanced plan ($399/month + 2.4% and 30¢ USD per transaction). Choose this plan if you run a high-volume business making over $1 million in sales per year and need the most powerful features available on Shopify. It includes features like advanced report builders, custom pricing by market, and the lowest available transaction fees.
- Shopify Plus plan ($2,000+/month + 2.15% and 30¢ USD per transaction). Choose this plan if you run an enterprise-level business. Shopify Plus is a custom plan that provides everything in the Advanced plan plus additional features like high-volume APIs, unlimited staff accounts, and dedicated success support.
Tip: Are you doubting which Shopify plan to choose? If so, you can sign up for Shopify's 3-day free trial to learn everything about Shopify's features. You can test all Shopify plans except the Shopify Plus plan with the trial!
And don't forget you can always upgrade or downgrade your Shopify plan later on if you need more (or fewer) features!
What do you get for each of Shopify's pricing plans?
As you saw, Shopify offers a total of five pricing plans.
You have the choice of the following:
- Starter plan ($5/month + 5% per transaction)
- Basic plan ($39/month + 2.9% and 30¢ USD per transaction)
- Shopify plan ($105/month + 2.6% and 30¢ USD per transaction)
- Advanced plan ($399/month + 2.4% and 30¢ USD per transaction)
- Shopify Plus plan ($2,000+/month + 2.15% and 30¢ USD per transaction)
But what does each of Shopify's pricing plans offer precisely?
Let’s take a more in-depth look!
Shopify's Starter plan is the most basic and cheapest option available on Shopify.
You can create a simple store in minutes for just $5/month + 5% per transaction.
This plan is best suited for those who are just starting and want to sell their products through social networks.
With Linkpop, you can create a mobile-first landing page that shows a collection of your most important links, like social media accounts (for example, on TikTok), blogs, websites, YouTube channels, or product pages.
In short, Shopify's Starter plan includes the essential features needed to sell products online, including an order management system, an analytics dashboard, and Shopify's customer support.
On the other hand, it is worth noting that this plan has the highest transaction fees out of all the Shopify plans. Also, if you want to create a genuine online Shopify store, you must choose Shopify's Basic plan instead.
The Basic plan is Shopify's most popular subscription.
You get access to Shopify's online store feature for $39/month + 2.9% and 30¢ USD per transaction.
That means you will be able to create a professional online store to showcase your products. It also means being able to manage your products, orders, customer information, and more via the Shopify admin.
Some notable additions of Shopify's Basic plan over the Starter plan include being able to choose and edit your store's theme, much lower transaction fees, and support for creating additional store pages (like a blog).
In our opinion, the Basic plan offers the best value for money and is best suited for anyone looking to start a Shopify store from scratch. (This is probably also why it's Shopify's most popular pricing plan, haha!)
Again, if you are unsure whether the Basic plan is right for you, Shopify offers a 3-day free trial where you can test out all of its features without committing to anything.
The Shopify plan is the next step up from the Basic plan.
It costs $105/month + 2.6% and 30¢ USD per transaction, and it builds on the features of the Basic plan.
One of the main differences between the Shopify and Basic plans is that your transaction fees are lowered.
If you are processing more than $20k per month in orders through Shopify Payments, it is worthwhile to upgrade just for the lower transaction fees!
Additionally, the Shopify plan grants you access to professional reports, which include behavior, marketing, and profit reports.
The Shopify plan also unlocks a maximum of five staff accounts instead of two, which is great if you want to grow your team.
At last, you get access to Shopify's ecommerce automation features, which can help you to streamline your business processes and workflows.
Other than that, you still get all the features of Shopify's Basic plan, including the ability to create an online store, manage products and orders, support for multiple languages, and more.
Overall, we think the Shopify plan best suits those taking their online store to the next level and wanting to save on transaction fees, start with professional reports, or use more than two staff accounts.
Shopify's Advanced plan is the most expensive option for non-enterprise businesses, costing $399/month + 2.4% and 30¢ USD per transaction.
It is designed for high-volume merchants who need advanced features, such as custom reports, duties and import taxes, and custom pricing by market.
Again, one of the main differences between Shopify's Advanced plan and the Shopify plan is that the transaction fees are even lower, and you get access to advanced report builders.
These custom reports look similar to other Shopify reports, but you can use filters to let them show the exact data you need. For instance, you can track your business's performance, sales, and growth over time. You can also see which products sell the most and which need improvement.
Another notable feature of the Advanced plan is that it comes with Shopify Markets, a cross-border management tool that lets you configure specific settings for each international region.
For instance, you can control the prices and taxes of your products by country or region!
Overall, we think the Advanced plan is best suited for online stores making at least $1 million per year in revenue and requiring the advanced features mentioned above.
However, if you don't need these advanced features, the Shopify plan seems to offer better value for money.
Shopify Plus plan
At last, there is the Shopify Plus plan, which starts at $2,000 per month. This is Shopify's enterprise ecommerce solution and is designed for some of the most high-volume businesses.
The cost of the Shopify Plus plan depends on your business's needs, so you will need to contact Shopify for a custom quote.
However, some features that are included in the Shopify Plus plan are built-in AR, video, and 3D media on product pages, dedicated success managers, and the ability to customize your checkout.
At last, it is important to note that the Shopify Plus plan is only available to businesses that meet certain criteria, so you will need to contact Shopify to see if you qualify.
Can you use Shopify for free?
If you're on a low budget, you might wonder if you can use Shopify for free.
The short answer is no; you can't use Shopify for free. Even the cheapest Shopify pricing plan, the Shopify Starter plan, costs $5 per month.
However, Shopify does offer a 3-day free trial that allows you to start creating your online business for free before committing to a paid plan.
To start your free trial, all you need to do is enter your email address and password. No need to fill out any credit card or payment details yet!
Once your free trial ends, you must choose a paid Shopify plan to continue using the platform and its features.
Overall, we think Shopify's free trial is a great way to try out the platform and see if it's the right fit for your business!
Why should you use Shopify?
You know a bit more about Shopify’s pricing plans now, but should you actually use Shopify?
To put it short, yes, you should use Shopify; simply because it is one of the best overall ecommerce platforms.
Shopify is the most popular ecommerce platform on the market and is used by businesses of all sizes. Even large enterprises like Pepsi, Heinz, Tesla, and celebrities like Lady Gaga trust and use Shopify (Plus) as their ecommerce platform.
Here are seven reasons why Shopify is so popular for ecommerce:
- It is straightforward to start a Shopify store, even for those without technical skills.
- It is affordable; create a genuine ecommerce store for just $39 per month.
- It offers world-class customer support; you can always get help if you need it.
- It has the speed and security you need.
- It offers marketing tools and SEO.
- It is mobile-friendly.
- And lastly, it provides resources and apps for all online stores!
FAQs about Shopify pricing plans
As we near the end of this article, let's answer some common questions you might still have about Shopify and its pricing plans.
What are the pricing plans of Shopify?
On Shopify, you can choose from the Starter plan ($5/month), Basic plan ($39/month), Shopify plan ($105/month), Advanced plan ($399/month), and Shopify Plus plan ($2,000+/month).
How much does Shopify take per sale?
When using Shopify Payments, Shopify takes between 2.15% to 5% and 30¢ USD per transaction, depending on your Shopify pricing plan.
When using a third-party payment provider, Shopify takes between 0.15% to 2% on top of the third-party provider's fees, depending on your Shopify pricing plan.
Who is Shopify's biggest competitor?
What is the best Shopify pricing plan for starters or small businesses?
The best Shopify pricing plan for starters or small businesses is the Shopify Basic plan, which costs $39 per month. It includes all the essential features you need to start and grow a professional ecommerce store!
Related pricing plan guides
Not sure yet about using Printify? Or are you curious about what other companies are out there for your online business?
We’ve got you covered! Check out the lists below to find more great companies:
- BigBuy Pricing Plans Guide
- Printful Pricing Plans Guide
- Printify Pricing Plans Guide
- Sellvia Pricing Plans Guide
- Sell The Trend Pricing Plans Guide
- Spocket Pricing Plans Guide
- Syncee Pricing Plans Guide
Before we go to the conclusion, we’ve created a quick summary of this article, so you can easily remember it:
- Shopify is one of the most popular ecommerce platforms that offers users a wide range of features and apps to help them grow and scale their business.
- Shopify's pricing plans start at $5 per month for the Shopify Starter plan and go up to $2,000+ per month for the Shopify Plus plan.
- If you are starting a new ecommerce store, we recommend choosing the Shopify Basic plan, which costs $39 per month.
- You don't have to commit to any paid plans from the start. Shopify offers a free 3-day trial + pay $1/month for the first 3 months.
We can conclude that no matter the size of your business, Shopify offers a pricing plan that suits your needs.
Shopify's Basic plan is an excellent choice for most ecommerce stores as it offers all the essential features to sell products online successfully.
We recommend only upgrading to the more expensive pricing plans once the lower transaction fees will make it worth it or if you need the additional features.
Overall, we think Shopify is worth the price and is an excellent investment for those looking to start an online store.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out, and we will be happy to help!
Want to learn more about Shopify?
Ready to move your Shopify store to the next level? Check out the articles below: