Have you ever wondered how to speed up the productivity of your dropshipping store? To avoid the hustle of importing products one by one?
Meet the Oberlo Chrome extension!
In this article, I will share what it is like to use the Oberlo Chrome extension and how it can benefit your dropshipping store.
Ready to get started? If so, let’s begin!
Important note: On June 30, 2022, Oberlo shut down completely and officially partnered with DSers to migrate its users. (Check out this guide for information about the DSers Chrome extension)
This article will show you how the Oberlo Chrome extension worked, but you won’t be able to use Oberlo anymore!
If you are interested in more information about Oberlo alternatives and how to migrate from Oberlo to those alternatives, check out this article here!
What is the Oberlo Chrome extension?
The Oberlo Chrome extension is an ecommerce app that helps you find and sell a product on your Shopify store.
The app is free to install and use. However, some paid features can be purchased within the app, too.
The best part is that you don’t need to go out and source these products; they are all found through their AliExpress database of over 100 million items.
The app works by allowing you to find a product that fits within your niche using keywords, automatically importing the data into your Shopify store.
Creating an instant listing with accurate images, price, and description without any work done by yourself.
Let’s go over now how you can install it as well!
How do I connect the Oberlo Chrome extension to my Shopify store?
Once you have successfully signed up to Shopify, the first thing you’ll need to do is install the Oberlo app that will allow you, together with the Chrome extension, to import products from AliExpress to your Shopify store seamlessly.
Next, to connect your store to Oberlo, follow these simple steps:
- Go to the Oberlo Admin login page, and click ‘connect a store.’
- A pop-up will load, type or paste the URL here, and click ‘connect my store.’
- Once you click ‘connect my store,’ you’ll be prompted to install the Oberlo app.
- Click ‘install app’ to finish integrating your Shopify and Oberlo accounts.
How do I get the Oberlo Chrome extension?
I mentioned this above, but I think repeating it one more time is better – just in case you missed the note at the top.
The Oberlo Chrome Extension is currently offline because Shopify decided to shut down Oberlo. This means that you can’t download the extension anymore.
Here’s how it would have worked before:
Installing the application couldn’t be much easier. Just follow these easy steps below, and you’re good to go in no time at all.
- Head over to the Google Chrome Web Store, then click on ‘Add to Chrome’ in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- A little pop-up should appear after this – hover your cursor over ‘Oberlo,’ then click on the green button that says ‘Free.’
- You’ll be prompted with a message asking you if you’d like to launch Oberlo in English (US) or English (UK).
- Next, another window will open, asking you if you want to add Oberlo to your new tab page. This is up to you, but it is convenient, considering all of the other functions you’ll be able to access there.
- Finally, click on ‘Add Extension,’ and you should see a little message appear at the top right-hand corner of your screen that says ‘Oberlo Extension 1.0’. If this doesn’t pop up, then don’t worry – Oberlo should still work fine!
The Oberlo Chrome extension will now be added to your browser bar, and when you’re visiting the AliExpress page, the Oberlo icon will turn blue, indicating that an action is available, like importing a product.
How to import products with the Oberlo Chrome extension
Let’s continue with figuring out how to import products from AliExpress to your store while using the Oberlo Chrome extension.
1. Browse the Oberlo app to find products
Once you have signed up for Oberlo and downloaded the Chrome extension, importing products will be like eating a slice of cake!
Simply go to AliExpress and start browsing for products; if you hover over with your mouse on the product you want to import, the extension will highlight automatically, giving the option to import the product to your Oberlo app.
When you have successfully imported the products from AliExpress to Oberlo, you can then choose to edit these products in the Oberlo app, or instead, in your Shopify store.
Furthermore, before importing any product to your Shopify store, the Oberlo app will give you two options:
- Import products as draft. The product will be imported, but it will be hidden from the sales channel until you set it as active.
- Import products as active. The product will be available in Shopify’s sales channels.
2. Importing the products to your store
When you have browsed all the product categories that interest you, click ‘Start import’ at the top left of your screen next to your username.
- Click ‘Start import’ at the top left of your screen next to your username.
- A new window will open asking if you want to import these products into an existing store or create a new one.
- Select the appropriate option depending on whether or not this is your first time using Oberlo.
- If it isn’t, choosing ‘existing store’ will cause the products to be added to your current shop without overwriting any information you have already.
- Otherwise, clicking ‘create a new store’ will prompt you to enter all the necessary details for your online business, including email address, domain name, and website theme, which Shopify requires.
When your listing has finished importing;
- Click on each product individually
- Go down to the ‘Details’ tab at the bottom of your screen. Here you have two options:
- If you’re happy with how your item looks on your store, then click ‘Save’;
- Otherwise, if you want to change some details about it, then select ‘Edit.’
- You can also choose whether or not private listings are visible by checking this box.
- To update these details, click ‘Save,’ then continue to the following product.
4. Updating the product images
After you have uploaded all your new products, if they’re on white or black backgrounds, they will need to be updated with a photo of your own so that customers can see what they look like and make an informed buying decision.
You can use any image editing software such as Photoshop, Gimp, or Pixlr Editor, etc.
This denotes that it has been updated, meaning customers don’t have to worry about accidentally purchasing out-of-date goods, which is essential for businesses who want their reputation to remain intact.
For more information about product images when dropshipping, check out our full guide here!
5. Categorizing the products
When your products have been imported and updated, you should decide which category they fit into:
- Go to the left-hand side of your screen where you will see a list of all the different categories in your store.
- Click on each one in turn, and when you find the right match for your item, click ‘Add’ in the bottom right corner so that it moves across to that section.
- You can add a product to more than one category if there’s more than one way customers could look for it.
- This increases its visibility when people search by keyword or browse using tags, which customers do when they’re not sure exactly what they’re looking for.
- You should take into account that if you have many products, it might be worthwhile creating subcategories for them to avoid cluttering the main categories.
6. Tags and product titles feature
You can assign up to 5 separate tags (keywords) per product; however, the total character count including spaces must not exceed 35, which is a good average.
Here’s how you can add these tags:
- Click on either the ‘Tags’ or ‘Product Title’ box at the bottom of your screen.
- Type in the name for your tag.
- Press enter when you finish.
- Then carry on to the next one if there’s more than 5.
- If your store only has a few items on it, you don’t need to worry about overloading them with keywords, but if it has thousands as some successful stores do, then this is important because there’s no way they’ll all be found using the name of the product alone.
The pros of using the Oberlo Chrome extension
I’ve tested the Oberlo Chrome extension for a while, and I can tell that some of the most significant benefits of this app are:
- Start for free. One of the primary benefits of the Oberlo Chrome extension is that it is free for up to 500 products.
- Product pricing. This app lets you create pricing rules according to your needs.
- Detailed explanation. Don’t worry if Oberlo doesn’t work despite the installation process just explained above! Just head over to the help center to troubleshoot your issue.
- Available in multiple languages. Whether you are running a global store or targeting just a specific market, Oberlo will be able to support you. The app is available in languages like English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, or Portuguese.
The cons of using the Oberlo Chrome extension
Even if the Oberlo Chrome extension has simplified the way dropshippers use the app, there are certainly a few issues you may want to consider before installing it:
- No WordPress integration. Currently, Oberlo doesn’t integrate with WordPress, and there is no chance for it to work on other ecommerce platforms than Shopify.
- Only one marketplace choice. With Oberlo, you can only import products from AliExpress; this can be a limitation, restricting this app from expanding its full potential.
- Top features are only available on the premium plan. Features like bulk orders, shipment tracking, and AliExpress cashback are available only in the pro plan at $29.90 per month.
- Technical issues. According to the Chrome app store reviews, the extension seems glitchy sometimes.
Are there Oberlo Chrome extension alternatives?
There are many platforms that you can sell on; some offer you advanced functionality and others provide a means for customers to buy products from your store.
We advise people who are just starting with importing and dropshipping to choose a tool that offers a simple but practical set of features. It will be easier for you to learn how to use something if it’s not too complicated.
If you feel like Oberlo doesn’t fit your needs, then we have two well known Oberlo alternatives:
Spocket is a great Oberlo alternative if you want to ship products from the US and the EU within two to five days shipping times; you may want to consider Spocket, and what is good about Spocket is that they have a free plan, so you can get started for free.
Some of the key features Spocket offer are:
- Invoice packaging, meaning your customer will get a package with your store name, contact details, and logo – this is huge!
- Return policy. Spocket is one of the few dropshipping suppliers that allow your customer to return products in case they’ve arrived damaged or are malfunctioning.
For more information about Spocket, check out this article here!
Another option that you can go with is AliDropship.
Here are some of their great features:
- Import reviews from AliExpress (it is important to add reviews to your dropshipping store so that you can have established social proof).
- An active community to exchange information.
- Add-on purchase options in case you want to boost your store performance, for example, by adding a sales pop-up or a countdown timer.
Note: You may want to use some additional add-ons, however, keep in mind these are optional, but they can help you drive sales and run your store more efficiently.
As you can see, the Oberlo Chrome extension is a great tool to have at your disposal as it streamlines the process of importing products from AliExpress onto your online store.
It makes everything about importation easier and saves you a lot of time. If you’re looking for a way to promote your business, this is it!
You can create a site that sells hundreds or even thousands of different items, attracting more visitors and increasing revenue.
Furthermore, with their vast range of supported suppliers, you have many different options for product diversification, so nothing is stopping you from selling your products with the help of the Oberlo Chrome extension.
If you’re looking for more Chrome extensions that you can use for your dropshipping store, check out this article here!
And don’t forget to check out this list here with the 9 best Chrome extensions for product research.
What is your favorite dropshipping product import extension tool? Have you ever tried the Oberlo Chrome extension before? Let me know in the comments below!