So you've decided to start an ecommerce store. That's great!
But how do you find products to sell?
That's where a product research tool comes in!
A product research tool helps you find products to sell that will perform well on your ecommerce store.
In this article, we will explain what a product research tool is, the different types of product research tools, some things to look for in a product research tool, and some of the best product research tools in 2023.
Without further ado, let's get right into it!
What is a product research tool?
A product research tool helps ecommerce businesses identify and analyze potential products to sell in their online stores.
These tools are designed to make the product research process faster, more efficient, and more accurate by providing data-driven insights on market trends, product demand, competition, and profitability.
An ecommerce product research tool can be a great addition to any ecommerce business because they:
- Save time. Instead of manually researching potential products, you can quickly use the tool to find products that meet your criteria.
- Provide accurate data. Ecommerce product research tools provide data-driven insights to help you make informed decisions.
- Identify excellent products. With the help of a product research tool, you can identify products with high sales potential.
- Help you stay ahead of the competition. Ecommerce product research tools often provide insights into your competitors.
A tool such as Sell The Trend is an example of a product research tool with all these benefits:
Sell The Trend has a wide range of features, from helping you discover winning products to suppliers for those products and much more.
Here's an example of a winning product that Sell The Trend found that you could start selling right away:
If you'd like to learn more about Sell The Trend, read our full review here!
Ultimately, there are two main types of tools: free and paid.
To decide which is best for you and your business, let's talk about what they are, give some examples, and review the pros and cons of each!
1. Free product research tools
Free product research tools are product research tools that are offered to you for free.
One great example of a free product research tool is something like the AliExpress Dropshipping Center:
It's great for those who already use AliExpress.
It assists you in the process of finding products, analyzing products, and helps you find new dropshipping suppliers for your store.
You can learn more about AliExpress dropshipping center here.
Pros of a free tool
- Cost-effective. The most obvious advantage is that free product research tools do not require any financial investment.
- Basic insights. Free tools can provide basic insights into product demand, competition, and trends.
- Quick and easy to use. You don't have to opt for any plans, which makes it quick to start, and simple functionalities make them easy to use.
Cons of a free tool
- Limited features. Free tools may lack advanced data analysis, in-depth competitor research, or market insights.
- Less accurate data. Free tools may not always provide the most accurate or up-to-date data; this can affect the accuracy of your decision-making.
- Higher competition. Because free tools are more accessible, more users rely on the same limited data, which can lead to increased competition.
- Lack of customer support. If you encounter any issues or need help, you might have limited resources for troubleshooting or guidance.
2. Paid product research tools
Paid product research tools are those that you must pay a monthly or yearly fee for.
Since you must pay for them, paid tools provide more in-depth and accurate data analysis than free alternatives.
They enable precise insights into product demand, competition, pricing, profitability, and market trends.
An awesome example of a paid product research tool could be something such as Dropship.io:
Dropship has many great features you don't get with a free product research tool.
Some of these features include:
- Product database with millions of products
- Weekly selected winning products backed with research
- Competition identifier tools
- The saturation level of a particular product
- Much more
Read our full review on DropShip here!
Let's look at the pros and cons of paid product research tools!
Pros of a paid tool
- Comprehensive data. Paid product research tools provide access to extensive and accurate data. They offer advanced algorithms, multiple data sources, and more robust analytics.
- Advanced features. These can include in-depth competitor analysis, sales estimation, keyword research, inventory management, niche discovery, and more.
- Reliable and timely updates. Paid tools typically prioritize regular updates and data refreshes.
- Customer support. Paid tools usually offer dedicated customer support to assist users.
- Integration with ecommerce platforms. Many paid product research tools integrate with popular ecommerce platforms.
Cons of a paid tool
- The cost of a paid tool. The most significant drawback of paid tools is their cost; they require a financial investment, typically through subscription fees.
- More of a learning curve. Paid tools often have a steeper learning curve due to their advanced functionalities and complex interfaces.
Now, let's look at the other differences between paid and free tools.
How do you choose a product research tool?
Generally speaking, you want to find a tool that is a great fit for you and your ecommerce business, right?
But how do we judge a tool to decide if it's a good fit?
Here are a few things to look at when deciding if an ecommerce product research tool is a good fit or not:
- Cost of the tool. Look at the pricing page of the tool and decide if it fits your budget. Is it free, is it a low-cost tool, or is it for scaling brands that have more budget?
- Features. Look and see if it has the features you're looking for. For example, is a large database of products essential for you?
- Functionality. Does this tool have an interface that's easy to use and comprehensive? What kind of support do they offer for the users?
- Free trial. If you want a paid tool and want to try it out, does it offer a free trial? You can usually find this on the tool provider's pricing page.
- Reviews. What have people said about the tool, and does it have good reviews? Look for different platforms like TrustPilot,
If you’re unsure which product research tool to pick, take our quiz here to get a personalized recommendation based on your needs.
5 Best product research tools in 2023
Below, you will find the best product research tools in 2023:
|Your needs:||The best option(s) for you:|
|The cheapest paid tool||FindNiche|
|The best free tool||AliExpress dropshipping center|
|The tool with the best features||Sell The Trend|
|The tool with new weekly products||Dropship.io|
|The tool with the best filtering options||AliShark|
For more product research tools, check out our full list here!
FAQs about product research tools
If you have any more questions about product research tools, check out these FAQs:
How much does a product research tool cost?
The average price for a product research tool is around $20 a month. However, this price can vary depending on what features and plan you choose to go with.
Are product research tools difficult to use?
For the most part, product research tools are pretty straightforward to use. In addition, most tools will have a tutorial and resources you can access to learn more about how to use the tool effectively.
Is it better to do product research on your own or with the help of a tool?
Doing product research on your own is great because, after all, it's free! However, if it fits into your budget, a product research tool definitely makes things a lot easier.
Before we go to the conclusion, we've created a quick summary of this article for you so you can easily remember it:
- Consider your own needs when selecting product research tools. There are many options when you pick out a product research tool. So you must consider your needs, such as your budget, and the features you need in a tool will help you decide.
- These are some popular product research tools:
- If you're on a budget, FindNiche or the AliExpress Dropshipping Center would be excellent options.
- As for the tool with the best features, Sell The Trend is a great tool.
- If you want new weekly selected products, Dropship.io would be a great option.
- For the tool with the best filtering options, AliShark would be your tool.
We hope you see the power of utilizing a product research tool for your ecommerce business.
After all, a winning product is the lifeline of any ecommerce business, and a product research tool can make finding what will sell well a lot easier by providing you with data-driven insights.
Hopefully, this article has provided value and clarity on product research tools.
Good luck with your ecommerce endeavors!
Want to learn more about product research?
Ready to move your product research skills to the next level? Check out the articles below:
- 7 Best Facebook Ads Spy Tools for Competitor Research
- 17 Best Evergreen Niches & Products for Dropshipping (2023)
- How to Do Product Research With Amazon Movers and Shakers
Plus, don’t forget to check out our in-depth how to do product research guide here!