Are you ready to find out the sales volume of your competitors?
Throw away those guesswork equations. In this article, we'll uncover five easy methods to determine how much sales a store is doing without breaking into their analytics dashboard (definitely don't do that!).
Keep reading to learn more!
5 Ways to find the sales volume of a dropshipping store
Are you ready to learn how to get some fantastic insights into the sales of a dropshipping store?
Let's dive into everything you should know!
Disclaimer: Unless you're the store owner, it's impossible to find the exact sales revenue of a dropshipping store. All methods covered in this article give an estimation of the sales volume.
Dropship is a product research tool that helps you find amazing products for your dropshipping store.
However, that's not all they do!
In fact, Dropship offers four main features:
- Product Database. A database containing millions of products from other ecommerce stores.
- Sales Tracker. Track multiple stores and see the sales data for today, yesterday, the last seven days, and the previous 30 days.
- Competitor Research. See how many competitors you have, who they are, and what their strengths and weaknesses are.
- Portfolio. Every week on Monday at 12 PM EST, Dropship will add 40 potentially winning products to your portfolio.
You guessed it already; the ‘Sales Tracker' feature is the one we're looking for!
Here's how it works:
Simply click ‘Sales Tracker' from the sidebar menu, and you will be guided straight to the dashboard where you can look up dropshipping stores and find an overview of your tracked stores:
You can extend this data to see the store's sales over time and the number of unique products sold:
And to top it off, you can even find a store's sales data for each product they sell:
As you can see, the estimated revenue for the last 30 days is just over $461,000. Seeing the estimates from the other tools will be exciting, so keep reading!
So, with all those great features, you're probably wondering what Dropship costs.
Well, let's dive straight into their three pricing plans:
The great thing is that you can look up an unlimited number of stores using Sales Tracker on all three plans.
The limitation is in how many stores you can track; Basic gives you 10 stores to track, Standard 25 stores, and Premium 50 stores.
- Clean and easy-to-use interface
- Amazing for finding information about competitors
- The Portfolio is a great place to find new product ideas
- The sales estimates are detailed and seem pretty accurate
- A bit on the pricier side
Taking action: You can try out Dropship for free using their 7-day free trial here! And if you're interested in Dropship's other features, check out our complete review of Dropship here.
Sell The Trend is a product research tool that helps you find winning products for your store with data sources from AliExpress, Amazon, CJdropshipping, and many Shopify stores.
However, just like Dropship, they have many other tools, including one that lets you estimate the sales of other dropshipping stores!
It's called ‘Store Intelligence.'
Using this feature, you can fill in the URL of a dropshipping store, and it will show you a lot of data, including monthly traffic, avg. product price, monthly orders, and monthly revenue.
Take, for example, the dropshipping store Notebook Therapy:
As you can see, Sell The Trend estimates a monthly revenue of around $159k, which is around one-third of the Dropship.io estimate.
Plus, if you scroll down, you will also see their best-selling products:
For each product, you also see an ‘Add to store' button, which allows you to easily import that product to your Shopify or WooCommerce store!
And if you link them to AliExpress, there's even a feature for you to fulfill orders in a single click:
Currently, Sell The Trend costs $39,97 monthly or $99.97 monthly if you're a heavy user. Both plans get you access to the Store Intelligence tool!
- One of the best product research tools on the market
- Also shows how much a store spends on apps each month
- Includes other useful features like pushing products to your store or automated order fulfillment
- The sales estimate does not seem like the most accurate
- For smaller dropshipping stores, it can happen that there is too little data for Sell The Trend to give a sales estimate
Taking action: You can try out Sell The Trend for free using their 7-day free trial here! And if you're interested in Sell The Trend's other features, check out our complete review of Sell The Trend here.
Niche Scraper is a product research tool used by many dropshippers to search for winning products on AliExpress and dropshipping stores.
The tool shows you products that are already proven to be best sellers on other dropshipping stores.
For each product, you can view data like the sales trend from the past seven days, the rate at which sales are increasing or decreasing, and even the level of competition.
However, Niche Scraper also offers the ‘Store Analysis' feature, which allows you to uncover sales volumes on the store level instead of the product level:
Below the search bar, you'll also find various popular stores together with their best-selling products:
If you enter a really popular store like FashionNova, you'll find lots of sales data:
However, when we tried analyzing Notebook Therapy, it resulted in the message, ‘This store may not receive enough traffic to analyze.'
This is a little strange, considering it's definitely one of the more popular dropshipping stores out there!
Although there was no sales data, Niche Scraper did show the traffic sources for Notebook Therapy.
And when you scroll down, you can also see both recently added products as well as the best sellers:
Niche Scraper offers two pricing plans:
- Free. Offers access to hand-picked winning products (after a delay of three days) with a limited number of ‘scrapes' in each category and limited access to the tool's other features. (You do get access to the Store Analysis feature.)
- Pro membership ($49.95 monthly). Users of this plan have access to all features of the tool. You can also pay annually for a 60% saving.
- There is a free version available
- Shows the traffic source of an online store
- Provides extensive data on winning products
- The free plan is very limited
- The product data could be more extensive
- The analytics data seems relatively unreliable
The next tool you can use to find the sales of a dropshipping store is Commerce Inspector.
Unlike the previous tools, Commerce Inspector is primarily aimed at competitor research while also having some features for product research.
It's used to find a dropshipping store's best-selling products, Facebook Ads, monthly visitors, sales volume, and more!
There are over 800k stores in Commerce Inspector's database, and for each of them, you can find:
- One-click bestsellers. To view an online store’s best-selling products.
- Product insights. Generate charts that tell you when certain products are launched and which sell well.
- Traffic and social media insights. Find how an online store attracts its traffic.
- Apps and tools. Discover which ‘secret’ apps the most successful ecommerce stores use.
- And more!
The Chrome extension from Commerce Inspector is free to use, but it does have limited data.
If you want unlimited data, check out their pricing below:
- It can be used to find extensive data about any ecommerce store
- Not the best product research tool
- The paid pricing plans are relatively expensive
Taking action: If you want to try out Commerce Inspector, you can find a 3-day trial for only $1 here!
Similarweb is a fantastic tool used to analyze a website's traffic data.
It provides you with a comprehensive report of a website's estimated monthly traffic, sources of traffic (direct, referral, search, social, etc.), the geographical distribution of visitors, and more.
But how do we translate all this traffic data into potential sales figures?
The idea behind this is simple: the more people that visit a store, the more potential there is for sales.
Let's consider the dropshipping store Notebook Therapy.
You're curious to know how they're doing, so you head over to SimilarWeb and input their URL.
The tool informs you that Notebook Therapy gets approximately 260k monthly visits:
Next, you need to figure out what percentage of these visits are converted into sales.
Conversion rates vary significantly between individual businesses, but let's assume a conversion rate of 2% (which is a common average in many ecommerce sectors).
This would mean that out of the 260,000 monthly visitors, approximately 5,200 are making a purchase. You can get this figure by simply multiplying the total number of visitors (260,000) by the conversion rate (2/100 or 0.02), which gives us 5,200.
To get an idea of monthly sales revenue, you also need to consider the average order value (AOV).
A good method to find this is to look at the store's most popular products using a (free) tool like Niche Scraper:
Most products seem to be around the $30 mark, but don't forget that some people will buy two or even more products at once!
So, if we assume an AOV of $40, we can find the sales volume by multiplying the AOV ($40) by the monthly sales (5,200), giving us a monthly sales volume of $208,000.
This is between the estimates of Dropship and Sell The Trend, so it seems pretty accurate!
- This method can be used to estimate a store's sales volume for free
- There are many assumptions involved
- Often doesn't account for factors like repeat customers
- Estimating sales through Similarweb is not the most straightforward or accurate
Taking action: Check out Similarweb here!
What can you do with a dropshipping store's sales volume?
When dropshipping, knowledge is power.
So, when you can estimate a competitor's sales volume, it opens a world of opportunities to fine-tune your strategy!
For example, here's what you can do when you understand your competitor's monthly sales:
- Adjust your pricing strategy. Are they selling much more than you? Maybe their prices are more attractive. If your product quality matches or surpasses theirs, you might consider adjusting your prices to be more competitive.
- Help evaluate market demand. High sales volumes can indicate strong market demand. If a competitor achieves lots of sales in a particular niche, it could signal an opportunity you might want to tap into.
- Develop your marketing strategy. The sales volume can help you understand which products are popular. You can then create ads around similar products, focusing on why your offering is the better choice.
- Provide benchmarks for your store's performance. A competitor's sales volume gives you a benchmark to measure your store's performance against. It can help you set realistic sales targets.
Before we go to the conclusion, we've created a quick summary of this article for you, so you can easily remember it:
- Some of the best ways to find the sales volume of a dropshipping store include using the tools Dropship, Sell The Trend, or Commerce Inspector.
- If you're interested in free tools, we recommend Niche Scraper or Similarweb.
- You can find a store's top-selling items using tools like Dropship or Commerce Inspector.
- Understanding a competitor's sales volume can benefit you in areas like pricing strategy, developing a marketing strategy, and setting benchmarks.
- It's important to note that these tools provide estimates rather than exact figures, but they can still offer valuable insights.
There you go! These are five ways (and tools) you can use to find the sales of a dropshipping store!
Remember, these tools only offer estimates but can ultimately help to drive your business forward.
No tool is perfect; each has pros and cons, so it's up to you to decide which aligns best with your needs and budget.
We wish you a lot of success with your dropshipping store!
Want to learn more about dropshipping?
Ready to move your dropshipping store to the next level? Check out the articles below: