Udemy is a well-known platform that has been around for over ten years now and is used for learning new skills.
There are plenty of free resources on Udemy, but what if you’re looking for a specific course or certification?
Are there any good Udemy alternatives where you can learn more online?
We have listed the best Udemy alternatives that we’ve hand-picked to help you make an informed decision.
Let’s get started!
The Best Udemy Alternatives: An Overview
Let’s quickly go over the best Udemy alternatives in this list before we dive deep into the article:
|Udacity ||Coding languages and artificial intelligence||Free / $100 / $500 / $1000|
|Coursera||Data Science and|
|Free / $399 yearly /custom plan|
|Free / $50 / $100 / $300|
|Datacamp||Data analysis and|
|Free / €12.12 / custom plan|
|Shopify learn||SEO training and|
|Khan Academy||Microeconomics and|
|Free / custom donation|
|Free / custom plan|
|Free / $27.99|
|Free / $190 / $390 / $890|
|Free / €26 / €39|
|Free / €79.00 per year / or €499.00 lifetime|
Udacity offers many free online classes through its platform. They partner with industry experts and universities to create highly reputable courses. Their Nanodegree program allows students to earn a certification after completing a course.
That said, the platform also provides different classes, including those focused on coding languages like Python and Java, as well as others that concentrate on subjects such as data analytics, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and cybersecurity.
Their online learning system allows students to complete courses at their own pace and provides access to a wide range of resources, including videos, lectures, quizzes, and projects.
Students can also earn a Nanodegree Plus, which gives them access to additional resources and opportunities, such as career services and one-on-one mentoring.
Overall, Udacity’s courses are designed to give students the skills they need to get a job in the tech industry.
- Many free online classes.
- Partners with industry experts and universities to create reputable courses.
- Can earn a Nanodegree certification.
- Focuses on in-demand coding languages and subjects.
- Allows students to complete courses at their own pace.
- Provides access to a wide range of resources.
- Not all courses are free.
- Not accredited like traditional colleges and universities.
- No face-to-face interaction with instructors or classmates.
- No certifications are given for free courses.
Overall, Udacity is a fantastic option for students who wish to learn a coding language or subject on the internet.
Their programs are geared toward in-demand fields and languages, making them an excellent choice for individuals aiming to advance their careers in IT.
Coursera is a massive online learning platform that provides free access to thousands of university course materials.
Founded in 2012, it has since grown into one of the largest providers of MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses).
In 2017, Coursera announced a partnership with Microsoft to offer free courses taught by faculty members from some of the most prestigious institutions around the globe.
A few months later, Coursera launched a new feature called ‘Instructional Videos,’ allowing professors to upload videos of lectures directly to the site.
The company now offers hundreds of courses from dozens of universities, covering subjects ranging from computer science to history to English literature.
- Access to quality education from some of the most prestigious institutions in the world.
- A wide variety of courses are available.
- Many courses are offered for free.
- Not all courses are available for free.
- Some courses may require a paywall in order to access certain features or materials.
- Courses are not always updated regularly.
Coursera is a great resource for people looking to take college-level courses without having to actually attend college.
The company offers a wide variety of courses, many of which are taught by top professors from prestigious institutions.
edX is an online course delivery system developed by MIT and Harvard University, which allows anyone to access free educational resources from over 200 institutions worldwide.
With over 18 million registered users, edX offers some of the most popular courses, such as Introduction to Computer Science, Data Structures & Algorithms, Financial Engineering, Machine Learning, Programming Languages, and many others.
Students enrolling in one of these courses receive certificates upon completion, allowing them to prove their knowledge and skills.
Courses from edX have been expanding over the years, and I really appreciate the fact that they offer so many different types of courses for students at any level.
They’re not just limited to MOOCs (massive open online courses) but also include fully online Master’s degrees.
- Self-paced learning.
- Accredited Certificates upon completion.
- A variety of courses are available from beginner to advanced levels.
- Some courses can be very challenging.
- Courses created by edX partners are not structured according to any particular set of rules. This can result in inconsistent practices.
That said, edX is a great platform for anyone looking to gain access to free or low-cost educational resources from some of the world’s best universities.
The courses offered are diverse and challenging, and the certificates you can earn are valuable in proving your knowledge and skills.
Datacamp offers free online courses on data analysis, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and cloud computing.
The company says it wants to make data science accessible to everyone and help people learn about the field without having to pay thousands of dollars in tuition costs.
Datacamp launched in 2013 and now has more than half a million active learners worldwide.
In addition to offering free online courses, Datacamp also provides paid training programs where instructors use the company’s technology to deliver life lessons.
DataCamp offers courses through short, interactive videos. They’re designed so that you can learn at your own pace. It’s more of an ‘a la carte’ approach than a traditional course.
That said, there aren’t too many courses available right now (at the moment, the average is 380), but the ones that do exist cover topics ranging from basic statistics to deep learning.
- The platform offers awards to you depending on your answers.
- You don’t need any special skills to take advantage of their services because they offer tutorials that anyone can follow.
- Datacamp makes it easy to get started with data science by providing a free platform.
- It can be difficult to keep track of which courses overlap each other and which ones don’t.
- You can take courses for free, but if you want to get certified, you’ll need to pay $12.42 per month.
- There isn’t much content available yet compared to Udemy.
- Certificates are not accredited by any university.
Datacamp is a good platform if you want to get started with data science without spending any money.
However, it doesn’t have as much content as other providers (such as Udemy), and the certificates aren’t accredited.
5. Shopify learn
Shopify Learn is a free online course platform that helps entrepreneurs and small business owners learn how to build and grow their businesses.
The platform includes courses for beginners, intermediate and advanced users alike. Courses cover topics like setting up a Shopify store, designing a website, creating marketing campaigns, understanding SEO, and more.
The platform also offers webinars with industry experts to help business owners stay up to date on trends and best practices.
- Shopify Learn is completely free.
- The platform offers a wide range of courses that cover different topics related to ecommerce.
- The courses are easy to follow, with step-by-step instructions and visuals.
- Courses are not accredited by any universities.
- The platform does not offer certificates to prove your knowledge and skills.
- It can be difficult to find specific courses as the library of courses is not well-organized.
Overall, Shopify Learn is a great platform for those looking to learn the basics of ecommerce and get started with their own Shopify store. The platform is easy to navigate, and the courses are comprehensive enough to get you up and running quickly.
However, if you’re looking for more advanced courses or to earn a certificate, this might not be the best platform for you.
6. Khan Academy
Khan Academy offers thousands of videos covering math, science, history, economics, and English language arts topics. There are even lessons on how to play the piano and violin.
Khan Academy’s mission is to provide free, world-class education anywhere. The content is all free, and no ads or sign-ups are required.
What’s more, the entire curriculum is based on the concept of mastery. That means that as you go along, you will see yourself getting better and better at whatever subject matter you choose to study.
If you decide to enroll in one of the courses, you can expect to spend around 20 hours watching videos.
While the quality of the videos varies, most of them are well-explained and include illustrations and animations.
Some of the videos are very long, however, so you might have to stop after every few minutes to catch up.
Regarding the certificate, Khan Academy doesn’t offer any official recognition. However, you can create your own profile page where you can show off what you’ve learned.
This way, you can prove to employers and others that you know what you’re talking about.
- The courses are free.
- There is a wide range of courses available.
- The site is easy to use.
- You can bookmark individual videos to return to later.
- Certificates are not accredited.
- The videos are sometimes outdated.
All in all, this is a great resource for those who want to learn something new, the quality can sometimes vary, but if you are just looking to get started on a particular topic, this is definitely the place to go.
OpenSesame is an online learning management system (LMS). They offer a wide variety of courses from some of the world’s most respected publishers.
Their customer support team will help you integrate the courses into your existing learning management system (LRS), whether it’s Blackboard, Moodle, Canvas, Desire2Learn, or another solution.
You can also use OpenSesame to develop and deliver your own courses. The company has a growing library of more than 20,000 courses from over 1,000 different publishers. You can use their courses to train employees, customers, or partners.
OpenSesame also offers a mobile app that lets you take your courses on the go. The app is available for iOS and Android devices.
- Wide variety of courses from respected publishers.
- A mobile app is available.
- Good customer support.
- Offline accessibility.
- Some users have found limitations regarding the availability of languages other than English.
- You need an existing LMS to use OpenSesame courses.
The best part about OpenSesame is that they give you access to over one million video lectures that cover everything from programming languages to business skills.
You can also download their eBooks and PDF files for offline reading.
FutureLearn offers a variety of free online courses, including psychology, business management, law, history, art, etc. After completing a course, you will receive a certificate from one of the many universities that offer accredited certificates.
Furthermore, students can earn points by taking quizzes, writing assignments, and doing peer reviews.
These points can be used to redeem rewards like discounts on books, movies, music, and even gift cards.
The courses are divided into modules, with lessons usually between 15-20 minutes long. Each module contains quizzes, assignments, and projects.
Students can complete each lesson as soon as they finish watching the video. There’s no time limit to completing the entire course.
If you don’t feel like going through the whole course at once, you can always watch a few lessons at a time.
- Free online courses with certificates from reputable institutions.
- Quizzes, assignments, and peer reviews.
- Rewards like discounts on books, music, and movie tickets.
- Not all courses are accredited.
- Not all courses are offered in every country.
- No Android or iOS apps are available.
FutureLearn is a great platform for those who want to learn new things but don’t have the time or money to commit to a full-fledged degree program.
The courses are flexible, and you can earn real-world credentials from top universities.
WizIQ is an online learning software for schools and education institutions. The platform makes it easy to manage courses and assignments.
A virtual classroom, a course builder, and other tools for managing students and delivering material are all available through the platform.
WizIQ was founded in 2007 by Harman Singh, an entrepreneur with a background in education technology.
The company is headquartered in Noida, India. WizIQ has a team of over 200 employees, and its platform is used by over four monthly users in over 190 countries.
- WizIQ is an easy-to-use platform that makes it easy to manage courses and assignments.
- Students can access classes from anywhere, anytime.
- The platform offers a virtual classroom, a course builder, and a range of features for managing students and delivering content.
- One of the few learning platforms that offer live chat support.
- Free WizIQ App for iOS.
- A limited number of courses.
- It doesn’t have an Android app.
WizIQ is a useful platform for distributing information. It’s simple to use, offers a virtual classroom, and includes several tools for managing students.
Poor user app feedback and the limited number of courses are drawbacks, but overall, WizIQ is a good option for those looking for an easy-to-use learning platform.
Pluralsight offers over 1,000 courses ranging from beginner to advanced levels. They include a variety of tools like quizzes, forums, and live chats.
Founded in 2004, Pluralsight has been growing rapidly. It now offers online learning and training programs, quickly becoming recognized as one of Utah’s top online learning companies.
In 2017, it made the list of best workplaces in Utah by Forbes.
In addition, Pluralsight provides a free trial period so that new learners can try out their services before committing.
Pluralsight also offers a free mobile app for iOS and Android devices. This allows learners to take advantage of the service wherever they go.
- Over 1000 courses to choose from.
- Live chat support.
- Accessible 24/7.
- Offline mode is available.
- Should have FAQs for each course content so that students will have the answer to their questions while they’re learning.
- Lack of premium consulting services.
Pluralsight is a fantastic place to learn programming languages or revamp old skills.
The company’s focus on quality content and customer satisfaction has made it one of the top online learning destinations.
Alison is a comprehensive learning management system that helps teachers create engaging lessons, track student performance, and provide feedback on assignments.
Alison is built specifically for educators and is used by thousands of schools around the world.
Teachers can easily add videos, images, links, and other media to their lessons. They can also attach files such as PDFs or Microsoft Office documents.
Students may access their work in real-time using a web browser or mobile applications.
The system has been developed from the ground up to be simple and easy to use. It is completely free for all users.
- Tracks student performance.
- Provides feedback on assignments.
- Accredited courses by CPD UK.
- No offline mode is available.
- Certifications are released upon payment.
- You must watch ads or pay to remove them.
Alison is an excellent learning platform for those who want to learn for free and get accredited certificates, making it one of the leading e-learning websites.
It is also very easy to use with a great interface!
Reading and absorbing information and knowledge is great (definitely if it’s free!), but do you know what’s even better?
So, to help you with taking action with what you have learned in this article, take a look at the bullet points to find the best Udemy alternative for you:
- A clear description of what the course teaches.
- Clear instructions on how to complete each step.
- Check the testimonials from people who’ve used the course.
- A video demonstration of the course being used.
- Access to customer support (better if with live chat).
- A mobile app for convenient access on the go.
- Ensure the course has a completion certification in order to showcase your new skills.
- Lastly, make sure the courses you choose are from a reputable source. These could be from universities or colleges.
There are plenty of options out there for learning new skills online.
In fact, there are so many options that it can be hard to choose between them.
However, by taking into consideration the quality of the courses, the credentials you can earn, and the ease of use, you should be able to find the perfect platform for your needs.
Want to learn more online?
Ready to learn more online? Check out the articles below: